By Brenda Seabrooke
QUOTES TO QUESTION
Who wants to live in a place that means the middle of nowhere? P. 5
I wondered if Mom had lived in Florida in a previous life. P. 11
What you don’t see can’t scare you. Much. P. 17
They all looked alike so the kids probably didn’t have multiple fathers stashed around the country. P. 34
“I been wanting to snorkel my whole life,” Bucky said. p.78
The locker décor was her security blanket but I wouldn’t put that in the article. P. 88
“I think people know what’s in them. They just don’t admit it to themselves because then they would have to face something that isn’t likeable to them.” P. 102
QUESTIONS TO TALK ABOUT
1) Why does Courtney’s mother think she can become an artist in Key West?
2) Why does she change her plan to 1) go to Key West 2) to become an artist? What do you think are her underlying reasons?
3) Locate Key West on a map. What countries is it close to? Is it closer to these countries than to the mainland U.S.?
4) List 5 personality traits of Courtney, her mother, Bucky, Josh. How would you describe their overall personalities?
5) Why does Josh like Courtney?
6) Do you think Jessica meant to invite Courtney to her party? Why?
7) Why was it important that Bucky see Dr. White in jail?
8) What was the biggest problem facing Courtney? Do you think she succeeded?
9) How would you categorize this book? First romance? Mystery? Thriller? Family story? Comedy?
10) If you could use only one word to describe Courtney, what would that word be?
Return to Children's Literature's Teaching Guides
Read more about Brenda Seabrooke
If you're interested in reviewing children's and young adult books, then send a resume to email@example.com.