THE SWANS GIFT
This is a beautiful, modern folk tale, set in the timeless north of crystal cold winters, poor farmers and magic swans... A heart-warming story beautifully told... --The School Librarian
American Book Sellers Pick of the List
- Collect pictures of swans. Make a list of the different kinds of swans and where they live.
- Make a frieze of swan pictures, both collected and drawn, around the room.
- Find pictures of other woodland animals. Make a list of the foods they eat in winter time when the ground is covered with snow.
- Look for other stories about magic swans to read and talk about how each swans magic is different and what it is used for.
- Listen to the music from Swan Lake and identify the swan music. Discuss why it sounds like a swan.
- Find out the different sounds swans make and try to imitate them.
- Decide who is the giver and who is the receiver of The Swans Gift.
- Rewrite The Swans Gift as a newspaper article.
- Write a story or news article about another magic animal.
ISBN:1-56402-360-5, Ages 4-8
Candlewick Press, $15.95
Illustrations copyright 1996 by Wenhai Ma
Also published in Gaelic
Return to Children's Literature's Teaching Guides
Read more about Brenda Seabrooke
If you're interested in reviewing children's and young adult books, then send a resume to email@example.com.